Top 10 Hollywood Banned Movies
For nearly the entire history of film production, certain films have been banned by film censorship or review organizations for political or moral reasons. Typically, a banned film goes through editing to remove explicit scenes, and is then re-released. The following entries include films that have, at some point, been disallowed for public viewing. I have ranked entries based on a combination of the nature of the ban and the critical reception and overall popularity of the film.
1. Grotesque (2009): An unnamed doctor has always had everything he's ever wanted, but that has only made him develop more extreme and depraved needs. He kidnaps a young couple in the prime of their life together and forces them into a game of torment that slowly extinguishes their hopes for survival.
2. Mikey (1992): A seemingly innocent and sweet little boy causes murder and mayhem in his new neighborhood and falls for the teenage girl next-door.
3. The Human Centipede II (Full Sequence) (2011): Inspired by the fictional Dr. Heiter, disturbed loner Martin dreams of creating a 12-person centipede and sets out to realize his sick fantasy.
4. Scum (1979): An uncompromising story of life in a British juvenile offender institution in the 70's.
5. A Serbian Film (2010): An aging porn star agrees to participate in an "art film" in order to make a clean break from the business, only to discover that he has been drafted into making a pedophilia and necrophilia themed snuff film.
6. Natural Born Killers (1994): Two victims of traumatized childhoods become lovers and psychopathic serial murderers irresponsibly glorified by the mass media.
7. The Evil Dead (1981): Five friends travel to a cabin in the woods, where they unknowingly release flesh-possessing demons.
8. Cannibal Holocaust (1980): During a rescue mission into the Amazon rainforest, a professor stumbles across lost film shot by a missing documentary crew.
9. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974): Two siblings and three of their friends en route to visit their grandfather's grave in Texas end up falling victim to a family of cannibalistic psychopaths.
10. The Exorcist (1973): When a teenage girl is possessed by a mysterious entity, her mother seeks the help of two priests to save her daughter.